Start at least 1 day ahead of time.
1) Preheat over to 350 degrees F. Butter 9x9x2-inch metal baking pan; line bottom with parchment paper.
2) In small saucepan over low heat, whisk until smooth:
8 oz semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped
8 Tbs (1 stick) unsalted butter
3) Remove from heat. Whisk in:
1 Tbsp instant espresso coffee (we like Medaglio D'Oro brand)
pinch of salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 Tbsp Kahlua or other coffee liqueur (optional)
4) Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
5) In large mixing bowl, whisk:
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
6) Whisk in chocolate mixture. Then add:
1/4 to 1/3 C All-purpose flour
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
Be careful not to overmix at this point.
7) Transfer batter to prepared cake pan and bake for 15 - 18 minutes until set. Cool on wire rack.
8) Remove cake from pan and trim edges if necessary. Cut into equal size pieces, either squares or rounds. (Use large cookie cutters if desired.) Top with softened chocolate, fudge, coffee, espresso or mocha ice cream. (1 pint should be enough). Freeze solid, about 2 - 3 hours or longer.
9) In large metal bowl, combine:
3/4 C sugar
3 egg whites
Set bowl over saucepan of gently simmering water and whisk until mixture is very warm, about 2 minutes. Remove bowl from over water. Using electric mixer, beat meringue at high speed until very thick and billowy, about 2 - 3 minutes.
10) Put frozen cake & ice cream combos on a cookie sheet. Using a rubber spatula, spread meringue over tops and sides of each. Feel free to mound it thickly. Leaving "peaks" will look pretty after it is baked. Cover all of the ice cream and cake completely. Freeze uncovered on baking sheet until meringue is solid, at least 2 hours over overnight. Do not freeze for longer than 2 days.
11) Just before serving, Preheat oven to 500°F. Transfer dessert still on baking sheet from freezer directly to oven. Bake until meringue is deep brown in spots, turning sheet as needed for even cooking, about 3 minutes. Transfer to plates. Serve with a pitcher of Cocopotamus hot fudge sauce warmed in microwave for 30 seconds or until warm and gooey.